Although I spent some time looking through the photos, and I just can’t quite come up with anybody there that would qualify as dirty or a hippy.
Go read the article.
And then call your biggest wingnut friend/family member and see what kind of BS conservative “Can’t be done!!” spin they throw at you.
Always good for a laugh to watch them squirm for a minute or two until the full bullsh#t denialist stream gets underway.
But seriously,…. this is freakin Vermont. Smart progressive self-sufficient people. The fact that the sun don’t shine all that much didn’t hold them back at all.
Because, — well — there’s alternatives, dontcha see??
The 42,000 people living in Burlington, Vermont can now feel confident that when they turn on their TVs or power up their computers they are using renewable energy. With the purchase of the 7.4 megawatt Winooski One hydroelectric project earlier this month, the Burlington Electric Department now owns or contracts renewable sources — including wind, hydro, and biomass — equivalent to the city’s needs.
“We’re now in a position where we’re supplying Burlington residents with sources that are renewable,” said Ken Nolan, manager of power resources for Burlington Electric Department, earlier this month. “The prices are not tied to fossil fuels — they’re stable prices — and they provide us with the flexibility, from an environmental standpoint, to really react to any regulation or changes to environmental standards that come in the future.”
According to Nolan, the utility will get about one-third of its power from the Joseph C. McNeil Generating Station, one-third from wind energy contracts, and one-third from the hydroelectric stations Winooski One and Hydro-Québec. The McNeil power station is a biomass facility that primarily uses wood chips from logging residue leftover from the harvesting of wood for other products.
The Onion,… like always,… on top of the issue -
The Pros And Cons Of Militarizing The Police
The ongoing clashes between residents of Ferguson, MO and heavily armed police forces—which are equipped with M16 rifles and armored vehicles—have drawn attention to the increasing militarization of police in the United States. Here are the cases for and against outfitting local law enforcement with military-grade weapons:
- Same tactics used successfully in Afghanistan, Iraq
- Modern law enforcement simply cannot do their job properly by relying on handguns, tasers, and tear gas alone
- A real shot in arm for nation’s ailing weapons industry
- Look on driver’s face when tank pulls up beside Mini Cooper always fun
- Local photojournalists now able to capture fog of war at home
- Nice surprise treat for veterans to see weapons they used in war pop up on their hometown streets
- Never a bad idea to put a more powerful gun in someone’s hand
- Actually going to seem pretty quaint when compared with police armaments 20 years from now
- Most police officers have proven fully capable of violently subduing protesters without any military-grade weapons
- It actually very hard to recite Miranda rights while holding 40-pound grenade launcher
- There no longer any middle ground between community watch and military
- Mine Resistant Ambush Protected Vehicles only get 5 miles per gallon
- Jesus, just look at this shit
- Military-style helmets limit peripheral vision while firing indiscriminately into crowd
- Could potentially be abused if put in lesser hands than America’s historically honest and virtuous police departments
- Takes away that personal touch of beating a suspect to death with bare hands
At the best venue
Just found these guys a year or so ago.
Well I didn’t know that would happen. I guess just go straight to youtube,
Worth the trip.
John Oliver hasn’t quite reached Stewart/Colbert status yet,…..
but he’s gaining.
Rick Perry at first wouldn’t meet Obama on the tarmac at the airport. Finally saw some wisdom in doing that,…. or the petty that not meeting him would show.
Just really wanted a meeting.
Obama says,…. “Sure, let’s do that”
And then this -
Just beautiful,…… thanks Ricky old boy. The republican “keystone cops” comedy relief go to guy.
President Obama shares a light moment Mayor Mike Rawlings, with Gov. Rick Perry at the end of the table. pic.twitter.com/kE9GcPbjoF